I have heard several stories of people who met online and got married. I have also heard stories of people who met supposed lovers online and got killed. This has made me very skeptical. I don’t even advise it. But then, I realized that the world is a global village and you may find love online. Before we go on, let’s see the pros and cons of online dating.
Pros of online dating
- It is good for introverts. If you are the kind of person that does not like to talk to women or men, you may find online dating helpful. You can hide behind your keyboard with no one to notice how you sound and feel.
- It provides enough information about the person you want to date. Most people love to talk about their personal lives online, especially on the social media networks such as Facebook and Twitter. Reading their status update will give you a clue about their lifestyle. I have used it before to burst the bubble of a guy who was trying to marry my niece. I saw all his activities and the marriage was canceled just in time.
- You can get someone you really like: You can get to meet with someone you like and they like you back. I have seen wedding pictures of people who got married after dating online for some time. So, yes, it is possible to meet your life partner online. However, don’t settle for less than you deserve.
Cons of online dating
- You are judged by your looks: Since there are no physical interactions yet, you are judged by the photo on your profile. If the person checked, and they did not find you attractive, they may not contact you or reply to your messages.
- You could dig your own grave: Like I said in the beginning, I have read some gory stories about people who met online and later arrange to see physically and then got killed. It has happened severally. So, online dating is a risk.
- Anyone can cover up to be who they are not: This one is very important. Because you have not seen each other physically, anyone can cover up to be who they are not.
- It takes time and effort: Finding a decent person to date online is as difficult as finding them offline. You have to really spend time and efforts so you will not fall into the hands of scammers.
- You can meet all kinds of bad people online: The internet is full of different people who are there for different purposes. You can meet both the bad and good people online.
Despite the many disadvantages of online dating, there are things you can do to streamline it to avoid scams and other risks.
How to avoid risk in online dating
- Do a thorough research on their profile. Most people love to update their friends and family members about what is happening to them. You will mostly find pictures on their social media profiles. Go through it and study them. They may also have pictures of their friends and relations. Click on them to know their parents and siblings. Find out what they do for a living, the school they attended, where they live, etc. There is a great deal of information at your disposal, use it to make your decisions and to avoid scams.
- Have a live chat with them: Facebook now includes a live chat. Connect with them and talk to them one on one. If they are not available on Facebook, use Skype. Get to meet and talk.
- Use the phone for communication: Communicate regularly with them. You can even contact any of their friends to ask questions. It is never too much.
- Schedule a meeting with them in a popular place: When you have done your research and talked with them on the phone, and you have decided to go on, it is time to schedule a place to meet. Don’t take them to your house. Find an eatery, a restaurant or any public place to meet. Never agree to meet with them in a hotel. It is very dangerous. If you can afford it, go with a friend. Tell your parents or guardian where you are going and also go with your phone. These are good security measures.
I used to be close-minded about online dating, but since I have seen people who have succeeded in getting life partners online, I will encourage anyone who wants to take that path to be cautious.
Have you tried online dating before? Share your experience in the comment section below.